LightAware receives stories from people all over the world who are shut out of their lives by new forms of lighting – people who can’t get to work without blinding headaches, or visit a library without a severe skin rash. We hear from people having to leave their jobs, their studies and even their homes. Each person adversely affected by new lighting has to go through the same process of trying to understand what is happening to them and to communicate that to others. It is a difficult and often isolating process. There is very little guidance or understanding, from the general public or from policy-makers or health professionals.
Many find their symptoms dismissed as ‘anecdotal’ and are told there is no evidence for the health problems they are experiencing. LightAware feels that technology is progressing faster than medical science is addressing the issue, and questions whether the testing of new products is sufficiently thorough.
LightAware believes we need much more research, and much more dialogue and joining the dots between different fields of medicine and technology. In the meantime, we are gathering the ‘anecdotes’ individual stories of personal experience of how lives and health are affected by new forms of light.
(Some names have been changed to protect anonymity where requested)
|Maximilian – East Germany - Nystagmus sufferer can see high frequency flicker Read More >|
|Mister G – Germany - Teacher made ill by LED lighting Read More >|
|Jessica – East Midlands - Lupus sufferer reacts to LED Read More >|
|Nine LightAware Case Studies - LED Street Lighting Read More >|
|Adam – Czech Republic - Migraines from computer screens Read More >|
|Gemma – East Midlands - Migraines triggered by fluorescent lighting Read More >|
|Jason Stehn – Austria - Light Sensitivity Causes Social Isolation Read More >|
|Mary Coales – Chichester and London - Electrosensitive reaction to LED Read More >|
|Tania – South of England - Lost career due to migraine Read More >|
|Martin – Wales - LED headlights and street lights have too much glare. Read More >|
|Rebecca – London - Crippling migraine from fluorescent lighting Read More >|
|Wendy – South of England - Electrosensitivity made much worse by LED street lighting Read More >|
|Helen – London - Migraine from high-frequency sound in lightbulbs Read More >|
|Charlie – North of England - LED street lights a step too far Read More >|
|Anna – Central Scotland - "CFLs feel like the dementors in Harry Potter" Read More >|
|Katie – North of England - CFL-sensitive student Read More >|
|Peter – Wales - "Fluorescent lighting made my life hell" Read More >|
|Sarah – North of England - Joint pains and rash from CFLs Read More >|
|Kevin – South of England - South of England. Light sensitivity and disability access to work Read More >|
|Elizabeth – Aberdeen - LED sensitivity - "I couldn't even step into my own front garden" Read More >|